the MECHANICS: Gears & Worm Drives set
and learn how Gears can easily reduce or increase speed,
change force or transfer motion from one position to
another. Discover how Worm drives are used to greatly
reduce rotational speed and how screws can convert rotational
motion to linear, while greatly increasing force. Build
12 working models such as an experimental crane, a gearbox,
a carousel, a helicopter, a screw press and a crane
with a rotating arm. You can find easy-to-follow building
instructions for all models either online or in the
booklet included. The booklet provides detailed explanations
of the different scientific principles applied and incorporates
innovative experimental activities for hands-on learning.
A Quiz section is also available to challenge your newly
acquired knowledge! Conduct thorough experiments and
- how the gear's diameter affects force and speed;
- how to calculate gear ratio, even for complex assemblies;
- how to use gears to change the direction and plane
- how to calculate the mechanical advantage of a screw;
- what a worm drive is and how to use a ratchet mechanism.
- 46-page booklet with theory, experimental activities,
quiz and building instructions
- Full colour images, drawings and interesting facts.
- Thought provoking building challenges and exercises.
- Provision to write, note results and draw conclusions.
- Various gears of high precision for changing speed
- 12 working models to build
- Recommended for ages 8-16+